Sunday, January 07, 2007

All I Need to know I learned in a hut...

2007-Wow! I can't believe it is already here. The last 7ish months have flown by. Looking back on the past year I wanted to just share the top 10 things that I have learned! This is where I am supposed to be super witty and wise....

10. Coffee, ice cubes, air conditioning and Internet are priceless. I repeat priceless. Enjoy them.

9. Very rarely will you actually vomit from eating weird things. Caterpillars, goat intestine, termites, impala...all these things can live quite happily in your stomach. Not that they taste good, but whatever.

8. Snakes may seem scary, but when you hack them with a machete there is such a feeling of empowerment. Who is scared now?

7. Material possessions don't bring happiness. Have you seen the smiles that the Zambian kids have?

6. Never think that using the latrine at night by candlelight will be romantic. You can start a fire. Don't do this. Ever.

5. You can still make new friends and keep the old. One is silver and the other gold. Though I was never in "Brownies" I think they were really on to something with that song.

4. Prayer is awesome. Talk to your Creator. Listen.

3. When you think you can't do something and you are at the end of your rope, somehow God gives you the strength to pull through. These are some of the coolest moments in life.

2. Taking risks and following your passions is the most rewarding experience. Just get up and out there already!

1. Even when I am across the world, and don't see them every day, the people I love can still richly bless my life. Thank you!!!

I WANT TO HEAR WHAT YOU ALL ARE LEARNING TOO...Send me your comments!

8 comments:

Speedball said...

Caitlin, from Grandma Jones & family: Hi Caitlin, Happy New Year. Checking your blog often and it sounds like you and your Peace Corps friends had a wonderful holiday vacation traveling and having fun. You mentioned pictures - how do we go about getting your pictures and downloading them? Please email us or respond with a comment on how to do this. We're all anxious to see the pictures.

Had a nice Christmas here, the weather was real nice. Had a good time Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with Debbie, Michael, and Chris and my friend Jane and her son Kim. Went out Christmas night to see all the lights and decorations and had a great time. We love reading your blogs and you have such a talent and great sense of humor. Bye bye for now, much love from all of us.

rmjones911 said...

Uncle Chris,

Cait's photos can be found at http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/
AlbumID=55980393/a=60502620_17679351/
t_=60502620
(This is all one link, but did not fit in the blogspace permitted)
This is through a site called "Snapfish." It requires a brief, easy registration process that is painless. From this site, you can order pictures from and then pick them up at a store like Walgreen's.

Cait- It was good talking to you. I have learned much over last year. Divine Intervention is real and apparent. An "A" in physics is living proof... not to mention a safe, healthy sister in Africa...Relationships are everything in this world. Keep making new friends and don't stay stagnant in your solid relationships. Giving always feels so rewarding and blessed by God. Maturity continues to help me reflect and act on my inherent selfishness- and to make corrections. Finally, discipline always your body and mind to stay fit and sharp, but always find joy and blessing in the smallest of things that life has to offer.

Love You,

Ry

Unknown said...

Cait - am at work right now and don't have much time to reflect on this past year, but off the top of my head one thing I've learned or RE-learned (ha ha)this year is: Patience, if it is NOT one of your God-given gifts, is ONLY attained and mastered by turning TO God continually! And I've learned that it's only going to work, I mean REALLY work in time - HIS time! So many times I've rushed into things without much thought and acted on my spontaneity only to realize it was not God that lead me down that path, but rather God who put the brick wall in front of me to crash into, and realize that it was a different path I should have taken. I love God's sense of humor, in hindsight of course...

rmjones911 said...

oops, sorry- wrong chris, but this must be Chris Barger?

Ann of Newbery st. said...

I have learned that I can totally trust God with an absolutely amazing daughter. I can't keep her safe,but God can. I can't hold her when she is homesick, lonely or discouraged but God can. I can't talk to her whenever I want or even email her,but God can.(oh, you didn't know God has internet?)She can't be there for me when I need her,but God can. She can't share my joys when I want to tell her about them , but God can. He will never leave me or forsake me,he will never leave her or forsake her.We are a world apart, but I am right next to God's heart and God is right next to her heart,doesn't that still make us next door neighbors?! She does not belong to me,I cannot keep a hold on her,she has chosen to follow her heart which follows God,and bleeds with compassion for the people of Zambia. It has always overflowed with compassion. She is not just my daughter,she is God's.

CAITLIN said...

Mama you are making me cry. Love you.

Unknown said...

Ann you are making me cry too!

Tom and Bonnie Millett said...

Caitlin,

Not sure when Danielle will have a chance to write, so will take her place for awhile. She had a baby boy, Jayden Thomas, on 1/29 at 7:45 am. 8 lbs 15 oz, 22 1/2 inches long. Jermaine already has as a NFL linebacker. Love your blog, and God uses all of our gifts that He gives us to the maximium.
God Bless, love Tom and Bonnie Millett