Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Spring Break

As the official 8th grade History teacher at Chifusa Basic, I felt I need to act like a teacher and go on Spring Break! Schools here in Zambia are closed for the month of April so it provided a great window of opportunity! Granted, I had only taught African History for about a month, but the month on/month off schedule was working great with my tan! So the first week of April I headed out to Malawi, a little country on Zambia's eastern border. Ten other Peace Corps volunteers all met up for a week away from our villages. The fact that there was electricity would have been enough, but on top of that, we were staying at a "resort" right on the beach. Seven days of waking up to the sound of crashing waves, laying on the sand, swimming in warm water, exploring deserted islands, and watching satellite TV at night was heavenly. Our last day we went to a crocodile farm that was home to 14,000 crocodiles, some of which came from the lake in which we had been swimming. I was glad that was on our last day, as it was about as wise as watching Jaws before a dip in the Pacific! While vacation was awesome it was fun to come back to Zambia. You can take the girl out of the village, but you can't take the village out of the girl...or something like that! It was nice to come back to a country where I speak the language and understand the currency. I feel really blessed that I get to travel around and see more of this amazing continent.

Things are pretty quite in my village with school out of session and many friends gone on holiday. So it has been me and my dog, Rocky (for the mountains, not the movie), hanging out together. This 9 week old puppy thinks he is so fierce and makes me laugh daily. He is a nice cover too because now when I am talking to myself and getting funny looks I just say I was "talking to my dog". Pet ownership seems to be agreeing with me for the most part-HUGE surprise.

In May I am going to be piloting a program for orphans and out of school youth in my community. I ask that you keep this in your prayers. It is a sports/literacy/life skills program that has the opportunity to be really effective. Please pray that God will use the program to reach a niche of you that is otherwise ignored.

Hope all of you had a great Easter holiday. Blessings!

3 comments:

Ann of Newbery st. said...

Cobras,fire,black mambas,hiv,(christian)pythons,babboons, and crocodiles , OH MY!

Ann of Newbery st. said...

Come on people! I know you are reading K8's blog, how 'bout a little bit of response to encourage her!!!!

rmjones911 said...

Hey sis. I have finally started to get my blog running. It is called Fire in the Hole. Check it out, and hook some some comments! Meanwhile, hope all is well. We've had some rainy weather out here, but will be back in the 80's real quick. Played softball on Zack's team yesterday and went 4-4 with two inside-the-parkers. They were basically on errors. We beat the (supposed) best team, so that was cool. See you soon.

Ry