Monday, September 10, 2007

LoveHate

I’ve spent a lot of time thinking lately of all the things that I hate about Zambia and have been pretty down lately. You know, like ‘I can’t get off the phone with my mom without crying’ down. It’s just that I know when I hang up I won’t get to hear her voice or hear about all of you for awhile. It actually gets me choked up right now…which leads me into this latest blog. The other night my friend Heidi and I were eating spinach ravioli (love) we had just made from scratch (hate) and we got to talking about things we loved about being here in Zambia. So I’ve decided I am going to start a regular love/hate segment to this blog and document my bi-polarness in regards to this chapter of my life! Hope it makes you laugh or think or smile or whatever. And then write me about some of your loves and hates.

Love: The tropical fruit here. Having been glutinous as a child at the Sizzler salad bar, going back multiple times for piles of fruit, its like I’ve returned to that blissful salad bar of 1988, except that now I have little African children climb trees to get it. As we go into rainy season soon I cannot wait for the mangos, guavas, and bananas that grow like…fruit at the Sizzler circa 1988.

Hate: The line, “I want to marry a white woman.” Thanks, that is really special; I think you probably love me. How many cows am I worth to you? Will I be wife #4? Or #8? Being noticed strictly because of the color of my skin is something that I had never experienced living in predominantly Caucasian areas in the US. It gives me a totally different perspective for how minorities feel. I hate it. And marriage proposals from strangers are ridiculous. Patrick Dempsey if you are reading this, I do not consider you a stranger, Dr McDreamy.

Love: My freedom here. I can make my own schedule, which always includes an hour in the morning of sipping coffee and journaling, and an hour at night of running while the sun goes down. Most likely I will never again have so much time on my hands or freedom to do as I please. The work I am doing here I love-teaching, being an advocate for people, investing into lives. It is slightly different then working for a Fortune 100 company and being on the phone with clients all day.

Hate: Being away from people I love. I want to wrap my arms around you, laugh with you, hold your hand when you are sad, leave you a dorky voicemail, tell you a story. I hate that we are separated by an ocean…you seem a world away and then some.

Now it's your turn...tell me your loves/hates....

5 comments:

The Hartmans said...

1. Go Sizzler! I love that we share the same childhood memories of the bountiful Sizzler bar...and I love even more that somehow the experience just wasn't quite the same when we went back over a decade later.
2. Your story of proposals reminded me of the 10 Cow Wife story...talk about a blast from the past. I still feel weird when I think about that.

rmjones911 said...

Love: A good paying job and the freedom to buy pretty much anything within reason. Being close to friends and family. My motorcyle- though I don't ride it as much as I'd like. Skool. Mountains and snow. Flying an airplane!

Hate: Traffic, unreliable people (though I don't really hate them per say. Too many sunny days... Not enough time in my week to really relax. Being locked into one area most of the year, finishing 6th of 8 teams in softball, bad food that my coworkers make- learn to cook suckas!

Kim in Training said...

Love: having a grandbaby. Hate: the word "grandma" How old does that make me feel?

Love: Worship team. Hate: that I don't get to do that all the time.

Love: School. Hate: Feeling so much older than most of the students.

Love: Summer garden Hate: Summer pollen, achoo!

Love: My husband Hate: When we're snippy with each other

Hate: pain Love: that I don't have leprosy and can FEEL pain

Love: losing weight Hate: losing it cause I'm too sick to eat

Love: your blog Hate: that it can't be more frequent.

rachel karstens said...

Love: that the Packers are 3-0 right now and that they just beat the chargers but whatever.

Hate: that the monday night football game of packers and broncos is like rediculously expensive

Love: having a job,at a gym, that i love

Hate: spandex and speedos that are way too small even for a child

rmjones911 said...

Love that I can post under my husbands name. Hate that I am too lazy to sign on myself.
Love that I am looking out my window at mountains right now, hate that I can't be in them.
Love school, hate that I have no time for fun.
Love hot coffee in the morning, hate when I have to drink that crappy stuff at my work.
Love my job Hate when I get calls at 8 on Friday night because there is a problem.
Love you. Hate that I can't make you feel better and wrap you up with a big hug.