Saturday, June 10, 2006

Life in the City

Greetings from Lusaka! I've been in Zambia 2 days now and well, basically I'm already Zambian. I've seen monkeys, zebra, giraffe & water buffalo. And this was just at my campsite yesterday. I know you think I'm lying, but I have photos to prove it! I've also "almost" killed the largest spider I've seen in my life...It was a quick sucker though and I only slightly maimed the guy before he got away from me. Colorado basements have nothing on spiders found on the back of your toilet here. I've also become an avid World Cup fan, futbol is huge. We have a TV at our campground now, so life is a bizarre mix of nature and technology right now. We've received the first in a series of shots...And have been doped up on malaria meds for the last couple days. The side affects are only depression and vivid dreams, thankfully I'm not experiencing either.

We received our Provence placements today - and I'll be in the most Southern Provence of Africa, which was my first choice. It will be hot and sandy but home to Victoria Falls and the largest lake in the area so I'm looking forward to that. I start my language training Sunday and I'll be learning Tonga. Right now I can only tell you that peepee means No.

In my group of HAP volunteers (HIV/AIDS Program) there will be 4 of us in that region, Andrea (Utah), Bryan (Colorado), and Kris (Texas). We have all begun to bond and joke around and I think we'll be an effective team for that area. Bryan and I have worked out a deal where I'll do his laundry if he kills any snakes for me. I may be doing a lot of laundry. We'll be about 30K from each other, but transportation is fairly easy in that area. I'll be about 2 hours from the capital city, so I can hop down and pick you up from the airport in a days travel no problem. We leave tomorrow for a site visit that will take me through Thursday of this next week.

All in all I feel really excited about being here. Home seems a million miles away but I still feel rooted in who I am and can feel your love all the way over here. Please continue to pray for me, that I'll be able to sleep at nights, kill the big hairy spiders and just really accomplish God's plans for me here.

Love you all!

No comments: