Sunday, June 25, 2006

HOPE IN THE HOPELESSNESS

This week was a rollercoaster of emotions. As we learn more and more of the situation here in Zambia things seem more hopeless. My homestay family is all sick-most likely malaria and my little brother has worms. They don't have time or money to get transport to the clinic, so we have tried to get some free meds thru the Peace Corp for them. Coming here I had in mind that HIV and AIDS was the biggest problem here, and yet each day there seems to be needs that are more pressing or devastating. No doubt HIV & AIDS is causing enormous problems, but there are endless issues that needs to be addressed. My heart is broken each day for the people here in Africa, for the struggle they endure, and often times have no choice but to perpetuate.

Yet, in the midst of all this hopelessness, God has given me hope. Hope that regardless of how insignificant my actions may seem, He has a purpose for my life here. Last night, as we were going to eat shima (the staple food) my homestay brother uttered the most beautiful prayer. His words as best as I can remember were that God would remind him to give to those who have less. This is coming from a 26 year old man who is responsible for providing for 8 siblings and his widowed mom. A man who has no hope of getting out of this cycle of poverty...and yet he realizes that God can still use him to give to others. It was humbling to hear.

Some of my favorite memories from this week...dancing last night to some American hip hop music and seeing my little 4 year old brother (Victor) shake his booty like nothing else, it was hilarious...teaching the kids some sports cheers on my front porch...teaching the girls to say "Whatever" when boys are teasing them...watching the sunset from the porch while listening to music...having my little sisters (Nchimunya & Milimo) meet me at the trail after school and race me back home...having 20 African kids chase me on my bike while I ride to class.

Life is good. My heart is broken, but it is full.

1 comment:

rmjones911 said...

Wassup cait? I finally created a blogger account so I can post some comments... Sounds like things are going well for you and hopefully your trips into town remain frequent and regular. Bren and I continue to pray for you. Big birthday coming up soon, so hopefully it will be meaningful in the dark continent. School is going good but is tough with a full load work full time. It is good to hear about your experiences, I think they will help me to be more humble. Keep settling in and find new ways to avoid loneliness. Love always, big bro.