Sunday, March 04, 2007

Icing

Who would have thought I could sip a cappuccino and nearly be mauled by baboons in the same day? Or that I can use my cell phone but still have to pump water from a well? Life here in Zambia is like that, a very distinct dichotomy between "civilization" and primitive conditions. In a country that only recently gained its Independence from the British, Zambia is making baby steps toward what they consider development. At times though, it seems they are adding "icing" to a cake that has not yet been bakes. Or even mixed or maybe the ingredients are hardly in the bowl yet. It is as thou the people of Zambia look West, see that we have cell phones and think that by owning one too they are somehow moving in the right direction. Currently there is not one single Zambian I know that recognizes the "vibrate" setting on their phone, so you'll be having an important meeting and all of the sudden Beyonce is singing "Answer your phone, your phone is ringing...". It talks in the Bible about building your house on a solid foundation, not on the sand where it will be washed away by the sea. This has been one of the biggest reality checks for me here in Zambia-realizing that in many ways I am just "icing". It is great that I can teach on HIV to the teachers at my school, but how effective is it when the same teachers are hardly in class teaching or that a number of them are having sexual relationships with the students? I love meeting with the girls and talking about the importance of staying in school and making goals for the future, but how possible is that when they are being impregnated by their teachers? I get so excited when I make strides at the clinic to provide testing for HIV, but how much hope do the people have that find out they are positive for the disease? The government of Zambia, because of outside donors, is able to provide "free" medical treatment and medications, but they are not accessible to the people in my village that are 40 miles from town. In the US we are so vocal about our qualms with life. We don't like George Bush, or the Democrats, we gripe about our economy or that taxes are too high-whatever it is that is causing us such strife. But the fact of the matter is that in the US the foundation is set, the cake is baked. So at least we can mess around with the icing, we can try different colors, flavors, sprinkles if we are feeling crazy. But here in Zambia, at least from my perspective, I see developed countries pouring literally billions of dollars into a country and we're drowning in frosting. Without the government and people of Zambia making a dramatic shift in the way this country is run the billions of dollars are being flushed down non-existent toilets. To me development is not cell phones, or Starbucks, or even GAP. But it is clean water, it is accessible and quality health care, it is a country that not only sees the value in education but supports it and makes it possible for their people. It is creating an economy that gives people the opportunity to provide for their family. My vision of what I am going to accomplish during my service here has dramatically shifted since I landed here in June. I will still continue to do all that I can to assist the people of Zambia and to encourage the values and truths that I believe will bring about true development in this country. Maybe one of the youth in my village will light that spark that causes the fire that bakes the cake. Or maybe we will just lick the frosting for the next 18 months. Some people like icing best.

6 comments:

Ally Rose said...

hey there..haha...mauled by baboons and sipping cuppacino's eh?..awesome...i get mauled by hostel matrons whilst trying to sneak coffee down the corridor into the computer room...my name is Ally, im from Port Elizabeth, south africa...

Anonymous said...

Hey Cait,
What a great way to describe development: ICING! You are so right. Dustin and I have had literally hundreds of conversations about this topic, but we've never thought about the cake and icing analogy. What an awesome way to think of it. We in the Western world pour billions of dollars into 3rd world countries, on our "projects" that will somehow magically help these people not be poor anymore. Then 20 years later, we scratch our heads and wonder what happened, because for some reason, the people are still living in poverty! One of Dustin's intl. development professors at Pt. Loma, Dr. Adjubilosu, is from Ghana... and he really gave us some good insight into this whole world of development. He claims that the one thing that is missing in development is the "HUMAN FACTOR." He says that we can't pour money into our little projects (icing), without developing the character of the people living in that country (the ingredients of the cake, I guess). His focus is on the youth of those nations, and pouring into their lives... teaching, showing, modeling the importance of morality and character development. Sure, we can teach kids how to read and write, but then we'll just have more intelligent people, and maybe they'll even become the leaders of that nation. But who's to say they aren't going to be corrupt leaders who don't really care about what icing is best for the people? They'll just take any icing they can get, from any Westerner who's willing to throw it at them. On the other hand, however, if we can somehow instill in these kids the importance of CHARACTER, with good leadership skills and love for their neighbors, then we'll have intelligent leaders who are also full of integrity. And those leaders will then be able to be their own avenue for development. We won't need to tell them what kind of icing they need, because frankly we've tried that, and it hasn't worked. Instead, THEY will be able to take initiative and decide what is best for the people in that nation. THEY will be able to tell us what type of icing they want, and we'll be able to come alongside of them and walk with them across the bridge of development. And that's when we'll see change. So all of that to say, yes, you are so right. Thanks for giving us that great picture of the cake and the icing. And thanks for waking us up to the reality that we are SO blessed to have our cake already baked here in America. I'm so proud of you, my cousin, for walking alongside the people there. I know that you are having an amazing impact on those people. Even if you can't see it. You aren't trying to shove your icing at them; you're walking with them, living with them, loving them, and pouring into the next generation. Keep doing what you're doing, keep pouring into their lives. I love you, Cait! Love, your cousin, the "K" in "A.C.K." Cheerleaders. :)

rmjones911 said...

Hey Sista,

Good to hear from you once again. Life seems to be full of such dichotomies... but on a lighter note I will be in San Diego for Reids wedding this week. It is on Mission Bay and should be pretty sweet. I tried to call you today (at a normal time), but no answer. I think about you and pray for you constantly. So far, you are still the same healthy sister that I have not seen in some time. I will try to call you this week and spill some of the 411 from modern soc. Love you, Ry

The Hartmans said...

Wow, Cait...what incredible perspective! I read your latest post to Andrew and we had a really great discussion about Africa and what our money really goes to.
On a side note, you'll never guess who showed up at our Life Group this week...remember the guy from Christ in Contemporary Culture who sat in the very front row and drove us nuts? Yep...he and his wife...and of course they just LOVE our group. I'm reminded that Life Group isn't just about my needs but about serving people even if they don't look like me (of course, I'm preaching to the choir here)...

CAITLIN said...

K-Love you, you rock. Thanks for reminding me of Who I serve.-C

Ry Ry- Call me brother.

Kelly & Andrew- I love that you both are thinkers. Let me know your thoughts. Stay strong thru life group. There are always "those" people in our life, usually the ones that need the most love. love ya!

Kim in Training said...

Perhaps much of what you are doing is icing, but the underlying work of reaching human hearts with hope and the gospel of Christ. This is the "cake". This is the foundation from which a society can be built.

If the teacher gets to know Christ and follows him, he must quit having sex with his students. If a student sees that there is a God who loves her and says there is a better way, perhaps she is the one who says "no" to the teacher. From these small steps a foundation is laid.

One of the things that Christ does is bring hope. "Without hope the people perish." You are bringing that hope through Christ!