Saturday, March 01, 2008

Villagio, Botswana, Etc

For those of you still reading this blog...my creativity is starting to fade. I don't think you are supposed to have "Etc" in the title of anything, but alas it has arrived. I left Brit and Erin at the airport this morning, drank a cappuccino, bought a dress, and now I'm consoling myself with the world wide web. There are worse things I could have been doing and probably less expensive things but I'm trying to keep from crying- I am going to miss those girls!

Their trip out here was so much fun. They should be posting a blog for all of you to read, but we didn't have a time to sit and type it out while they were here...one day soon you'll hear from their perspective all about our adventures. A quick recap of the highlights-a week in my village, filled with lots of laughter, great talks, and eating smores every night. They were such an encouragement and brought me great perspective on a lot of the work I am doing in the village. We all worked together at the clinic, played Valentine's Day Bingo at Girls' Club, made sock puppets with Club Mweka, and enjoyed time with my close friends in the village. After 7 days we were all ready for ice cold drinks and headed back to Choma to catch the bus down to Livingstone. The next day we were down in Botswana on a "luxury safari". It was amazing. It was my third safari since being in Africa, but it was by far the most exciting as far as animal encounters. We were seriously just about nearly trampled multiple times by elephants. They do not call it "Elephant Valley" because there are a lot of zebras. In fact we did not see one zebra. But it was still fun. Lions were in full mating force and the baboons were quite friendly with one another as well. After two days of interrupting animal love making we headed back across the border to Zambia. We got to enjoy getting soaked at Victoria Falls as the water level is at its fullest.

A super long day of travel yesterday and we arrived back in Lusaka. The girls definitely got to experience the joys of traveling in the developing world. After giving ourselves pedicures and applying our nightly dose of DEET we went to sleep. Our last night together in Africa. And now they are somewhere in the sky and I am here in Lusaka alone. I know, poor poor Caitlin Annie.

I have less than 6 months left in Zambia and everything is feeling very bitter sweet! I still have quite a few projects/workshops I want to get done before leaving for the States in August. Some friends are making plans to come visit me and Julie and I are heading to Namibia for Easter, so time will seriously fly! Continue to pray for my physical, emotional, and spiritual safety while here. Once I am back on American soil I will share ALL the details of how your prayers have kept me safe, until then, I want my mom to sleep at night.

There will be tons of photos and video from the girls' trip to Zambia and I will try and put a link on here once they have uploaded things back in the States. I have to put a disclaimer on here in regards to a certain disgusting section of video which showcases my armpit hair. I have not turned into "that girl". You know the one that quits her corporate job and goes to Africa and grows out her armpit hair to show her independence and carefree spirit. That is not it at all! I am growing it out until a certain cousin of mine whose name I won't mention, gets her booty out here. If she fails to arrive in Zambia prior to my departure and I have lived with the filth known as my armpit hair in vain then she will have some major consequences. You know who you are cousin.

Alright, just remembering the fun of these last few weeks and thinking ahead to the great things in store I am feeling refreshed. And I think I need to treat myself to a Coke Light. Stay well!

4 comments:

Brittany Gray said...

Hey Chipego! I amsitting in the Yotel in London, Erin has already headed off to Gatwick - she will be in the air soon - as will I. It is sad to read your blog and realize the trip has ended :-(. Thanks for being such a fantastic friend and tour guide! I am so glad I wasable to visit you during this Zamtastic chapter of your life! We will post the ABC's soon and te links to our videos, hehe. I have to be going. . . LOVE YOU!!!
Peace, love, and Starbucks (strbxs has replaced mosquito repellent - it tastes SO much better :-)

Kimberlee West said...

I'm coming!
And I'm bringing a razor with me!!! :)
Love you so much, cuz!

Erin Stroup said...

Cait! I have made it back to the states safely along with Britt. Thank you so much for the amazing experience. It was a fabulous trip that I will never forget!
Erin

Anonymous said...

Hi there! My name is Ashley and I stumbled across your blog researching Chifusa...not too much information is available, but I LOVE YOUR BLOG! My husband and I feel a call on our heart to go to Chifusa as missionaries. We are not the only ones feeling this tug...Our church is organizing a group to come on January 5 of 2009. Your blog is incredibly inspirational! Thank you for your obedience to christ!!! ~ Ashley Jennings (ajennings729@hotmail.com)