Tuesday, April 15, 2008

World Health Day

Last Tuesday was “World Health Day"-an international event designed to bring focus to pressing health issues in our world. I know you never would have guessed that from the title of the day! Wink, wink. This years’ theme was along the lines of “protecting health from global warming.

I worked with local community groups to have a program in the village to focus on World Health Day. Over 300 people showed up to watch dramas, learn about HIV/AIDS, malaria, TB, family planning, and basic hygiene. It was a huge success. We didn’t really get to the part about global warming and health. Of the 300 people there, I would say maybe 7 have even heard of global warming, and 2 could actually give an accurate description of what global warming means for them. I think I was the only person there that has contributed to global warming.

Which is where we, as Americans, come into the picture. Sadly, we have played a significant role in global warming. I would never have labeled myself an “environmentalist”. I drove my car regularly without thinking of the effects it may have on the environment. I have never joined the anti-SUV debate. Colorado winters sometimes require a Hummer. I never littered though, and even felt some shame in throwing banana peels out car windows-someone could slip!

Since coming to Zambia I have realized how much I used to waste, how much trash I would throw away, how much pollution I may have caused. When visitors have come bearing American food gifts I am kind of appalled at the amount of packaging we put on everything. Side note, I am not appalled at the generosity of my American friends! But does a Starburst really need to be individually wrapped and then wrapped again? Why do we need individually wrapped instant oatmeal packs? Are we so lazy that if they just threw all the oats in one box we would not possibly be able to measure out a ½ cup to which we add water?

Unfortunately, it is the people in Africa that will likely be most affected because of global warming. Crops will suffer, which means Africans will suffer. As temperatures have risen we have seen areas in Eastern Africa that have never had malaria suddenly face malaria cases daily. People that have done next to nothing to contribute to the issue of global warming will face the consequences of our actions.

As people of a global world, we need to take responsibility and take steps in order to look out for others. Do what you can, where you can, when you can. That is all I have to say on that. Sermon over.

1 comment:

Kimberlee West said...

wow. that's all i can say. great insight, cait. love you