Friday, June 06, 2008

Jumping Off Bridges and the Usual

My last trip to Livingstone was amazing, yet sad as it will be my last time there while living in Zambia. It is the first of so many "lasts", but I was so blessed to share it with the Devster (I took that name from Kelly).

After getting back from our safari we laid by the pool, and then checked out Victoria Falls. One of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World, this is the absolute best time of year to view them. There is tons of water, but you are still able to see the full glory of them through the mist. We got soaked and loved it! Then we hiked down to the Boiling Pot, at the base of the falls. There are so many memories on this trail, Brad and I getting nearly mauled by baboons, cobras coming across the path, Andrea and I eating lunch on the rocks and watching kayakers drop into the rapids. Devon and I had the a great adventure too, swinging from vines like Tarzan and making our own baboon sounds. Very mature and sophisticated, of course, what else would you expect?

The next day I highly encouraged my sister to jump off the Zam/Zim Victoria Falls bridge. She agreed this would be a great way to send our parent's to an early grave. I will let her explain her little jump in her own words...

So as I always have to be just like my sister she told me it would be a wonderful idea to jump off a bridge, why not? So I went to bungee jump and the idea in theory does not scare me at all, I was not shaking or second guessing myself until I was strapped in. After asking several questions I still didn't really know what I was supposed to do. But, there I find myself standing over an edge with a crazy man counting down 5.4. 3... Wait I'm not ready yet! So he starts over 5. 4... Wait I start laughing... so I shake it off and I was ready to jump. So I hear 5. 4. 3. then I am brutally pushed off a bridge and sent to my early death. So I wanted to protect my new million dollar smile so of course I must scream very loud to keep my mouth open. I was thinking about all the things I really have not gotten to do as I fell for a very very long time and the question of why would I want to give this all up for the silly thrill of bungee jumping? But I had amazing form as I was pushed off and I did not pee my pants so in the end it all worked out. It was a blast minus the spinning part where I almost hurled. I am so glad I did it and my trip has been phenomenal so far!

Caitlin again, wondering how Devon got so dramatic in her young age. We are off to the village today for the next 10 days! Pray that we have a safe and wonderful time together. We miss you all and encourage you to bungee sometime in your life. Especially you, Dad...it will conquer your fear of heights!

4 comments:

Kimberlee West said...

Hey Cait and Dev! It's been so fun to catch-up on all your adventures. I'm sure you're going to have many many more... can't wait to hear all about your time in the village. Say hi to everyone for me! Love you both. xoxo, Kimee

Anonymous said...

Im so proud of and excited for my girls to have this time together as well as the adventures!Devon than you for taking the time to protect your costly smile as I'll be working for years to pay it off!However,that must have been a loooooong trip down to think of that AND have your life flash before your eyes.
Love
Yo Mama

Anonymous said...

Caitlin,
I wanted to see if you were able to get the Bibles from Fred Cromer yet? He was only able to get 40 Bibles, so I bought them and he said he was going to leave them for you at the post office. They have already been paid for, so I wanted to make sure that they get to the church.
Love you girl!
Shelby Burden

The Hartmans said...

It sounds like you're having a wild and crazy time, as usual. If I've learned anything from you over the years, it's your fun sense of adventure. Have fun with the Devster!