Sunday, July 02, 2006

INDEPENDENCE DAY

It has almost been a month since leaving home and I miss America! Things are still going well here, but I could really use a pedicure and Mexican food. Life goes on. I got to talk with my mom/Dev/Andrea and that made it so much better! This week was filled with a lot of studying - we had a big language competency on Friday morning...I think it went ok, but it is quite possible I said something really stupid. Everything sounds the same in the language I'm learning! I've learned the value of laughing at myself regularly. I did my first load of laundry here yesterday, to much laughter from my host family. For some reason Africans find most things white people do to be very funny. It was only a 2 snake week, which is better than a 3 snake week, but best would be never seeing a snake again! Seriously, snakes have no value (sorry if you like them).

We had some great cultural training this week, a lot about gender roles in Zambia. Just FYI, I am worth about 4 cows in Zambia. That is the going rate for a wife in the southern province. It was really interesting to hear about all of the traditions and practices that take place in the marriage process here. There are a lot of gender issues that are contributing to HIV in this country. Married women are the highest in new infections here - they have zero say in the marriage and due to the amount of infidelity that takes place, many men are infecting their wives with the virus. Women have been beaten or killed when they have suggested using condoms within their marriage. Honestly, every day I thank God for all of the freedom women have in the US.

We have 4th of July off from training and are having a big party at the Mwakera Center. Our host families get to come and hang out. It's going to be a BIG deal- we're even killing and grilling a goat. I'm sure a lot of you will do the same! ; ) Enjoy your bbqs and fireworks! Then next Sunday I get to attend an African wedding, which will be a whole new cultural experience. The cousin of someone (I'm still not sure who) is getting married and we are the token Americans. I'll let you know how it goes!

Miss you all!

3 comments:

rmjones911 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rmjones911 said...

So how does one say hello in whatever african language you are learning? Seriously, you are worth at least 5 to 5 1/2 cows in my book. Sprinklers finally got installed which means sod in 1 to 2 weeks. Our sprinkler guy is worth about as much as a snake. Too hot and dry out here for personal fireworks. I don't really know what our plans are yet. I do know that I have a 8-10 page research paper due by the end of tomorrow. Just listening to some "Brass Monkey" on Sirius while writing you from work. Work has been pretty busy lately, but nothing too exciting (except for a semi vs. trash truck head-on collision). They were both okay though. Weather has been nice here,in the 80s and low 90s. You should post your cell number. I had it for a day or two from mom, but I lost it. Well, we love you bunches. Be safe, and if a cobra spits- spit back.

Love,

Ry

CAITLIN said...

Ry-one way to say hello is "Kamwamba" or you can say "Muli Buti" which basically translates into "You are how?" Just remember practice makes perfect!

Erin-Hang in there in Atlanta! Thanks for the note. Love ya girl.