Monday, July 17, 2006

Home Sweet Cifusu

We received our site placements on Saturday afternoon-so my new home will be Cifusu which is in the Kolomo district of Southern Province. I have an active Rural Health Clinic near (about 3k) and also a Basic School, so there will be lots of amazing counterparts to work with while I am there for the next 2 years! I will write more about my place after I actually know more! I will be posted sometime the week of August 15th, after I swear in as a volunteer. There are about 8,000 people in that district area, so I'll have my hands full.

I'm in Choma now, about 2 hours south of Lusaka - we are heading out today for our 2nd visit to the village. We just had a meeting with the District Administration Officer and learned a bit more about Zambian life and how the government partners with us as volunteers. I made spaghetti last night for the 10 other volunteers here and I'm feeling pretty domestic-even thinking about having some chickens when I go out to my village. I know some of you are wondering if it is even me writing this! It is! We'll be back into town on Friday and are having a party for my birthday/going away for another volunteer. Looking forward to that!

The drama of the week was when a brush fire got out of control and one of the volunteers huts burned down! Zambia! What can you do? She was ok and just lost a couple photos. We had an awesome time at the wedding last Sunday, it was like a choreographed musical. Africans can dance! I included a couple pictures on a prior email-if you didn't get them have someone forward them to you. I took some video too of the dancing, so I'll show ya'all when I get back.

Life is good, things are feeling more normal and comfortable here in Zambia. I am excited to get out to the village and actually meet the people I'll be serving. I am sure I'll have many good stories to tell. Blessings!

4 comments:

rmjones911 said...

Cait-

Still need shirt sizes. It may be hard to convert from Zambian, but give it a try. I would really like to see some kids in fire T-shirts.

Big Bro.

CAITLIN said...

Seriously, the airfare is crazy expensive - but I can have visitors at any time!!! Care packages are very much appreciated! You can send anything really. Thanks for reading the blog, it is good to know I am not wasting my time updating this sucker! Love ya!

CAITLIN said...

Seriously, the airfare is crazy expensive - but I can have visitors at any time!!! Care packages are very much appreciated! You can send anything really. Thanks for reading the blog, it is good to know I am not wasting my time updating this sucker! Love ya!

CAITLIN said...

Ry- I am not sure if the t-shirts will get here in time, but send some to the CHOMA address and I'll give them to people in my permanent village. They'll love them, I know!