Friday, July 21, 2006

US STANDARDS, SEMINARS & CARROT CAKE

This morning we had a man with his truck pick us up to come back into town. Now, what I am about to describe in no way gives the story justice (keep this in mind). The truck, a SMALL Toyota pickup drives up the dirt path to Natalie’s home. Inside the truck there is a chicken coupe with about 10 chickens, a mattress, multiple bags of corn and about 5 Zambian boys. We pile in, with all our luggage and our language trainer and leftover cake. We are at absolute maximum capacity. According to US standards. But we see two women and a huge chicken along the side of the road, so our driver says come on in! Ok, seriously now we are at max capacity. According to US standards we are way over. But oh no, here is another boy and another bag of corn and we are saying come on in. The next chicken goes behind the front driver, but really there is no room. And then we arrive into town, the driver has one of the boys hop out to make sure there are no policemen because he would definitely get a ticket. He does this at every intersection. Just laugh with me people, because this is my life now. Insanity. According to US Standards.

"We are so glad you came to talk with us, because people in our villages are dying." These were the words from one man at the seminar we (Bryan, Chris, Andrea & I) taught on Wednesday. We were able to talk about HIV to 30 Community Health Workers, and the group was so receptive and eager to learn. Walking home at the end of the day I had such a feeling of pride in being here, in doing something that has the power to save lives. We taught for about 3 hours and all went well. On Monday I will be teaching all day at the basic school - I am looking forward to connecting with the students!

We have been in Natalie's village this week and it has been such a fun relaxing time. We've had a lot of time to experiment with cooking and made chicken tacos from scratch. And by that I mean we literally killed a chicken, plucked & cleaned it, rolled out dough to grill tortillas, and went to different gardens in the village to get tomatoes, cabbage, onions and garlic. DON'T EVER COMPLAIN ABOUT COOKING IN THE US.

Last night we celebrated my birthday in the village - carrot cake baked on the fire and the village singing happy birthday. It was so much fun. And now I’m in town, reading emails and about to have a cold drink. Life is good. Blessings!

1 comment:

CAITLIN said...

D-No worries, I got to check my email again today! Have so much fun with your sister and the girls and I am glad the baby is doing well-send me some photos of you as you get more prego! My sis is scheduled for Aug 4th to bring Delaney into the world! Pray for that. Love ya, C