Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Price of a Life


Chipego Caitlin Mpongo October 11, 2006-February 7, 2007. "If there was a price for life I would have paid it. If I could have bought it to save her I would have." Those were the words my friend, Mrs Mpongo, sobbed into my shoulder as I held her on the side of the road. She had called me minutes earlier to tell me her daughter had died. Let me start from the beginning...Mrs Mpongo is the head nurse at our clinic and her family has embraced me since I came to my village in August. We've worked, cooked, played, and gardened together for the last 8 months. When she gave birth to a baby girl last October she introduced her to me as my "namesake" and another Chipego Caitlin was welcomed into our village. Two Thursdays ago Chipego musyoonto (little Chipego) had a fever and trouble breathing and was rushed to the hospital here in Choma. Her parent's waited with her Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. On Monday tests were finally done to try and diagnose her condition. When I came to the hospital to visit on Tuesday the doctor had still not come to read the tests but she was showing signs of improvement. The x-rays showed pneumonia in her lungs, and Mrs Mpongo had advised the nurses to give Chipego medicine while they waited further information from the doctor. It was around 10am on Wednesday morning that Chipego looked her mother in the eyes and then took her last breath. Mrs Mpongo told me she only wished that Chipego could have talked so she would have been able to tell her what was going on inside of her. Over the last 8 months I have been so immersed in the poverty here that I have somehow become a bit numb to the situation. It is easy to forget that poverty truly is a matter of life and death. We take so much for granted living in the US. Health care at its very worst in the US is still far better than the health care system here in Zambia. As a child I too had pneumonia, had I been born here in Zambia, most likely I would have died. Through the funeral and burial process in my village I have heard people comfort the family by saying, "it was God's will." Though I am fully aware of God's presence through this situation, I honestly do not believe it is God's will for people to live in poverty, for children to die because of medical negligence. Had this same scenario played out in the United States we would be screaming about malpractice and fighting for justice. On Friday we buried Chipego on a farm in our village. The choir sang "It is well with my soul". She fought for her last breath here on earth, but I am sure Chipego was having no problem breathing in the sweet scents of heaven. A little girl's body lies beneath the soil now, but her memory will remain alive in my heart. Cherish the time you have and those you love.

6 comments:

Ann of Newbery st. said...

Precious girl, how lucky Mrs.Mpongo is to have you as her friend.April took the family from her school,who's dad was murdered,out for ice cream yesterday with Delaney and Hunter. Dad and I went to Outback for Val. Day. I don't suppose that is celebrated in Zambia! Guess what ,I started ready your copy of Passionate Life and love it.Found it downstairs.Basketball season was over last night. I think it was a rather disapointing season for J especially. Talk to you tues. Love, Mom

Tom and Bonnie Millett said...

Hello from Western Washington,
We are a long way from you, but with God's help we are but a stone's throw apart. God is so awesome. Danielle had a baby boy on 1/29, Jayden Thomas, 8 lbs 15 oz, 22 1/2 in. Everyone doing great. Bonnie and oldest daughter, Renee, were in Dover, DE to be helpers, but I think Alivia did most of the bossing around. I think that she believes she is the world protector of Jayden. I guess like all big sisters. Our blessings to you and the people you come in contact with.
love, tom and bonnie

Teri said...

That story breaks my heart. I am so sorry for you and for your friend whose little Chipego died. I complain about injustice in the US health care system almost daily, but you're right, it's nothing like what the people you work with experience.

The Hartmans said...

Wow, Cait. What perspective you have. I am so sorry for you and Mrs. Mpongo.
Andrew and I miss you!

Unknown said...

I am so sad to hear about little Chipego. I can't believe a doctor was not around to read the test results and provide guidance. I am sorry that you witnessed death firsthand, and were not reading it as we are secondhand. But how beautiful and bittersweet to see the birth, life, and death of a baby. She won't have to suffer ever, and she bears your name. How precious.

CAITLIN said...

Just to give you all an update on the situation with the Mpongo family. They seem to be doing ok, they've had lots of friends and family around them during this time. Mrs Mpongo has decided to not go back to the clinic until next summer or so just to give herself time to heal and rest. Her other kids are at my house daily and we all continue to grow closer to each other. Thank you for your prayers and thoughts!