Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Laugh With Me

The topic I really want to write about this week is "Top 10 Reasons Zambia Sucks", but in an effort to stay positive I'll choose another topic. How about we go with things that made me laugh these past couple weeks? When we came upon a couple of pythons, I was quickly advised by my counterpart that pythons, contrary to popular belief, are actually "Christians, they don't bite people." Now you know. Chuckle. Or what about the names some Zambian parent's give their children? When you first see you precious newborn child why wouldn't the name "Alien" pop into your mind? Or maybe you think, "Oh wow, she looks just like a 'Pharisee'!" Those of you currently expecting, I just want to encourage you to maybe steer towards other name options. You don't want someone to make note of them in a blog one day. I also laughed/rolled my eyes as we are on transport to town yesterday and the top of our truck hit this branch causing a flock (yeah, that is the technical term) of catepillars to rain down on us. So not only are we in the back of this truck with bags of maize, a few goats, and tons of people, but now we have bright green catepillar guts on us and these bright furry creatures crawling everywhere. For whatever reason Zambians don't fear snakes but they fear catepillars. I was a pillar of strength amongst the masses and brought the hysteria under control. Definetly made me laugh.

Just a little insight into me, when I am really homesick I mask things with humor! Besides that, the last two weeks in my village have been the most encouraging workwise. I was able to do a training with 6 community members on Home Based Care. They will be caring for those who are unable or unwilling to get to the clinic for treatment. The workshop went really well and people were very receptive. My girls' club at school is going well, this last week we made "girls" out of playdough and had a really good discussion about all of our similarities and differences. Each girl was asked to write down a goal for the year, and when I received them, each one had written she wanted to be able to complete her education. I am super excited about investing into these young women over the next couple years. Also, on Monday I was able to meet with a doctor at a neighboring mission clinic and have organized for them to come do mobile HIV counseling and testing in our area on a monthly basis. This is HUGE as people in our area have never has access to testing. The head nurse at our clinic will be back from maternity leave in the next couple days, so work with the clinic should also pick up and go a bit smoother as she is an amazing woman.

I will close with a message from my friend here, Cholwe (17). She wrote this in a letter to Brittany, my friend back home in Colorado:

"You must not be thinking that Chipego is in trouble-NO! She is fine and she is under God's care. Greet all who know Chipego, don't worry, my friend, about Chipego, I'm with her."

Miss you all!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad Cait, that you were able to save the day that caterpillars rained down over Zambia with the courage God blessed you with. Ha ha. That one was too funny. Great job on making great strides this week with your mission to keep your villagers knowledgable, healthy, and noncomplacent! It seems you've already accomplished part of what you went there to do!!!

Ann of Newbery st. said...

Darling Cait,(Chipego) I am so sorry that your namesake,baby Chipego Caitlin, died this week.I know it is a crushing reality of the failings of an underveloped country and it's lack of proper health care. I had been praying for her all the day before. I had already enlarged the black and white photograph that you took of her mother holding her,where baby Chipego is looking at you and your camera. How fragile life is.I just reaaly loved that picture and that it so beautiful. Yesterday I had it framed and it is in the familyroom.Everytime I look at it ,it will remind me how precious life is and to enjoy each and every moment I have with those I love. Yes,I can tell that when you are getting really homesick, you quickly change our conversation to make some disaster hilarious. Jordy was so sad after he got your message. He wrote a beautiful little poem about the two Chipegos but I think he wants to send it to your private email. Cholwe, I'm so glad you have Chipego's back! Love ever and always,mom

rmjones911 said...

Hey Cait,

I have been trying to call you- but to no avail. This semester of school is tougher, but I have already aced one of my first tests so that's cool. Mom told me about Baby Chipego. I am really sorry and know you are probably feeling sad and a bit helpless. Reid is getting married in March, and I am in his wedding so I will be out in San Diego for a bit. I will probably have some time to say hi to Grandma and the cousins. Our big snowboarding trip is quickly approaching and we will miss you. I think we will have a fun and dynamic group this year:

Brittany and Mark
Mark and Ashley
Scott and Rachel
Andrew and Michelle

In the meantime, Dev, Jord and I will all be missing you dearly on our birthdays...

Love,

Ry