Thursday, October 18, 2007

Zamland: Where Peacocks Fly

Sometimes it seems like I am in a bizarre alternate universe. Take a few hours of my life last week...

Thursday 5pm
Did you know that a peacock can fly? Or that they can be found in sub-Saharan Africa, perched in gigantic trees making Valoca raptor noises? Imagine my surprise last Thursday when I came across 4 on my ride back to the village. I seriously felt like I was in Jurassic Park.

Thursday 8pm
By the time we reached home it was dark, and I am now huddled between Mrs. Mpongo and a man I don't know in the back of a cantor truck trying to stay warm. A boy from our village, and Club Mweka, Mainza, had been bit by a rabid dog so he needed a shot immediately. He crawled up on my lap and by the light of my cell phone Mrs. Mpongo (a nurse) injected him. He seems to be doing great now, and was learning the Electric Slide last Sunday.

Friday 5am
I had been exhausted when I returned home, so I crashed into bed upon arrival. I woke up the next morning to sounds of my dog crying outside my door. I let him in and that was when I realized his poor eyes were swollen shut and his face grossly deformed due to massive swelling. He had been attacked by a spitting cobra. So I have to take back everything I said about him being a poor protector when it comes to snakes!

Friday 11am
15 students show up at my house for lunch. We eat rice with sugar (a totally legit meal) and then head off to Maumbwe School to teach to about 200 students on HIV/AIDS. These are the Peer Educators I trained back in August. I was so proud of them- they did sketches and songs and poems and were so confident teaching!

I love that surprise, compassion, fear and pride can all find themselves a home inside me in such a short period of time. I hope that you are living fully wherever you are and whatever you are doing!

1 comment:

Kimberlee West said...

Wow, what a crazy dichotomy of a life you're living right now! I can't wait to come visit you and experience a little glimpse of your time in Zambia!