Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Rest of the Story

It's been less than a week since A left, and I am just know feeling exhausted. We have this deal where any time we are on vacation we go from sunup to sundown, literally! Somehow it works awesome and I just get strep throat about a week later. It is 100% worth it.

We moved from Tanzania to my village, and it was by far the best part of the trip for me. I loved being able to share both of my "worlds" with each other.

My world of African transportation. This means A and I got to share the back of a Cantor truck with literally 60 people, added livestock, and tons of luggage. I am so glad that she now understands why I would rather cycle 40k than ride in a vehicle.

My world of African cooking. Mulenga and Bene came over about noon on Saturday to have us inspect the chickens we would later be eating-they looked good to us. I attempted to decapitate the chicken around 5pm but the knife was not very sharp and I was hit with a bout of fear and nausea mid cut. I can only imagine how that chicken felt! We boiled, plucked, cleaned, and fried the chicken. Boneless skinless chicken is a miracle and a blessing. Let me repeat-boneless skinless chicken is a miracle and a blessing. Do not take it for granted. I am moved closer to vegetarianism each day.

My world of African friends. We had the best time with the Kapuwe's and Kayawe's. The moms of these families are my co-leaders of Girls Club. Both of the fathers are teachers at the school. All of the kids are my little buddies. Taking care of extended family in Zambia is commonplace. So we enjoyed dancing and dining with Getrude, Jeans, Bene, Tembo, Junior, Bene Mushonto, Lilian, Jay, Memory, Mercy, Mwalya, Mulenga, Jordan Zambia, Friday, and Flo. And all those people live together in four bedrooms. They embraced Andrea and taught her all kinds of new dance moves, Zambian taboos, and traditions. It is one of my favorite village nights thus far.

My world of African chores. Fetching water from the well, washing clothes by hand, cooking over the fire- A got to experience it all and shined like a pro. I'd like to think she will never take her washing machine for granted again!

After time in the village we caught a bus down to Livingstone and explored Victoria Falls. I had not been there this time of year, and it was awesome to see how different they are in dry season. We went on a dinner/drinks cruise on the Zambezi River, layed by the pool, and hung out with some Peace Corps friends.

Then it was back to Lusaka and A back to the States. She has tons of pictures and video from our trip, so grab her and ask her to see them. Once I am no longer a complete picture poster looser I'll get some up here too.

Amushale kabotu basa! Stay well friends.

2 comments:

Kimberlee West said...

I literally cannot WAIT to experience a little taste of your worlds!!!

Tom and Bonnie Millett said...

Catlin,
We have laughed, cryed, smiled and just plain envied you during your time with the Peace Core. We have had 2 missionaries from Liberia and the Congo visit our church and it has been fasinating to hear their adventures, just as it with yours. Jermaine'mother, Janice, is spending Thanksgiving with Danielle and family in Dover and Janice, being a gourmet cook, has really spoiled them. She even brougnt quail, prawns, and smoked salmon with her. Our best wishes go to you and we know God continually looks after you and all your friends in Zambia.
All our love, Tom and Bonnie