Friday, November 09, 2007

Snapshots of Paradise

The vacation with A is almost half over-and I've yet to give you my own take on things, so here are some "snaps" of the trip so far.

A arrived with a bag full of goodness from the States. The bag included just about all of my favorites-Skittles, coffee, candy corn, cute clothes, and best of all a video! K & A had put this video together that included live footage of Colorado's fall season and then a snowstorm the next day, my parent's home, and messages from so many of the people I love. I couldn't stop smiling as I watched it. So not only did flight Q3001 bring my kindred spirit, but it brought a lot of you to me!


Fast forward to Tanzania. We are on day 1 of our safari and we are in the midst of an elephant herd. They weren't charging the Land Cruiser but they were definitely sauntering by and within touching distance. On our right, mama elephants with their young rolling in the mud to stay cool and then one elephant on our left scratching against a tree trunk. I was entertained and just a little frightened. I also learned much about elephant anatomy during this episode. You can ask Andrea more about that one day.


Next day, we are in the Ngorongoro Crater and sitting on the roof of our Land Cruiser, overlooking a hippo pond. More then a dozen hippos are submerged in the pond and hundreds of zebras and wildebeest are moving throughout the grasslands surrounding the pond. The water is bright blue, the grass is blowing in the breeze, the crater walls rise up in every direction. It inspires awe for the Creator.

We'll kindly skip over the next day as I have refereed to our bus ride back to Dar as a mix between hell and hell. The only slightly redeeming factor was that I got through most of an awesome book, The Kite Runner. The book is fabulous and like any great book, transports you into another world quickly. A good book is basically the exact opposite of transportation in Africa.


Zanzibar- a mix between heaven and heaven. Fresh seafood, white sands, sea green water. One day we went dolphin trekking, jumping into and out of the Indian Ocean as we followed a group of dolphins. I literally make eye contact with one of the dolphins before she swims underneath me and rubs against a piece of coral. Next day we are watching the sunrise from the beach, riding bikes on the sand in the afternoon, and ending the day with a glass of great wine. See what I mean about heaven and heaven?

Hope that you are enjoying a little paradise of your own! If not, live vicariously through me and I'm sure I'll do the same with your life one day.

4 comments:

rmjones911 said...

Get some dang pics up on Snapfish ASAP!

Kimberlee West said...

Oh my gosh... sounds AWESOME!!!! Let's see some pics!!!!

CAITLIN said...

Ok, I just came to the internet cafe at the "American Center" in Lusaka, and now my batteries are dead in my camera. I PROMISE pictures will come, the cards are just stacked against me right now!

Andrea said...

Those welephantes, leo-pards, sneaky snakes, hippo-pat-e-mus were so great!

"I'm going to show you some lions"...only imagine in a sing-song voice...still makes me laugh!!