Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Freedom To Go To School

I met a boy this week. He spoke English well, was visiting from a neighboring village. He came to ask his uncle for money to go to school. He'll be in grade 10 this year. In Zambia, high school costs about 129,000 kwacha, per term, equivalent to about $30 USD. This boy was so sweet-helped each day at my hut as we cemented the floor, whitewashed walls, put locks on the door. He loves school, wants to be an engineer one day, and wants to go to school in Lusaka. But he just didn't have the money. He lives with his older brother; both of his parents have died. Thirty dollars that is all that keeps him from being on the path to following his dreams or being stuck in a sick cycle of poverty. We talked about what I am doing here in Zambia, about HIV and all the issues that it is presenting. I talked to him about my faith in God, that I know He put me here for a reason and that He is watching over him too. I told him how I want to see him graduate-I'll still be here when he finishes grade 12. And he'll do it too; I see something in him that tells me he'll succeed. He is leaving today (Thursday as I write this), school begins on Monday. He has the $30 to go to school now. I met a boy this week...his name is Freedom.

I don't know if your heart aches the way mine does at the extreme injustice of these situations-the gross imbalance of wealth in the world. If it does, if you have ideas, thoughts, solutions, send them my way. I believe God has put me here, put kids like Freedom in my path for a reason. And he has also connected me with a network of people back home that can help. I want to be a voice for these kids. Proverbs 31:8 says, "Open your mouth for...the rights of all the unfortunate." Together we can bring about the "freedom" to go to school.

1 comment:

rmjones911 said...

Don't make me bust some caps on any fools that won't donate.